2020 Calendar of Environmental Health Events
- January: National Radon Action Month
- February: Cancer Prevention Month
- February 2: World Wetlands Day
- March 8-14: National Groundwater Awareness Week
- March 9-13: National Wildlife Week (NWF)
- March 16-22: Fix a Leak Week (EPA)
- March 18: Kick Butts Day
- March 21: International Day of Forests and the Tree
- March 22: World Water Day
- March 28: Earth Hour - uniting people to protect the planet by turning lights off for one hour, typically from 8:30-9:30 p.m. local time.
- April: National Distracted Driving Awareness Month
- April 6-12: National Public Health Week
- April 22:Earth Day - marks the anniversary of what many consider the birth of the modern environmental movement in 1970.
- April 20-24: Environmental Education Week
- April 26: Park Rx Day - visit National Parks for free!
- April 24 (last Friday in April): Arbor Day - Many states observe Arbor Day on different dates according to their best tree-planting times. Founded by J. Sterling Morton in 1872, Arbor Day sets aside a special day for tree planting. Check with your facilities/planning office if you are thinking about planting a tree to make sure it is placed in an optimal location (i.e. no underground utilities, no future development planned for that site, etc.).
- April 27-May 1: Air Quality Awareness Week
- May: Asthma Awareness Month
- May 4-10: Screen-Free Week (except for work and school!)
- May 3-9: North American Occupational Safety and Health Week
- May 4-8: National Safety Stand-down to Prevent Falls in Construction
- May 14 (2nd Saturday): International Migratory Bird Day
- May 15: Bike to Work Day - More than half of the U.S. population lives within five miles of their workplace, making bicycling a feasible and fun way to get to work.
- May 22: International Day for Biological Diversity
- May 22 (the Friday before Memorial Day): Don't Fry Day
- May 31: World No Tobacco Day
- June: Heat Health Awareness Month
- June: National Safety Month
- June 5: World Environment Day
- June 15-19: Trench Safety Stand-Down Week
- June 15-21: Pollinator Week
- June 21-27: National Mosquito Control Awareness Week
- July: UV Safety Month
- July 19: World Lung Cancer Day
- August: Cataract Awareness Month - If you are a K-8 Educator, sign up for the free Sun Wise toolkit!
- August: Back to School Safety Reminders
- August 1: World Lung Cancer Day
- Aug 10-16: "Safe + Sound Week" a nationwide effort that calls on organizations to raise awareness of the value and importance of workplace safety and health program
- August 23-28: World Water Week
- September: National Campus Fire Safety Month
- September: National Preparedness Month
- September 3: Protect Your Groundwater Day
- September 12 (1st Saturday after Labor Day): Carl Garner Federal Lands Cleanup Day
- September 13-19: National Farm Safety & Health Week
- September 19-26: National Estuaries Week
- September 16: International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer
- September 14-18: Septic Smart Week
- September 14-20: Pollution Prevention Week
- September 18: World Water Monitoring Day
- September 19 (3rd Saturday): International Coastal Cleanup Day
- September 21: Zero Emissions Day
- September 22: World "Car-Free" Day
- September 25: World Lung Day
- September 26: (4th Saturday): National Public Lands Day - free admission to all national parks. Search for an event near you.
- September 27: (4th Sunday) World Rivers Day
- October: Children's Health Month
- October: Healthy Lung Month
- October: Protect Your Hearing Month
- October: Walk to School Month
- October 3-4: National Solar Tours offers the opportunity to informally tour innovative green homes and buildings, and see how solar energy can be used efficiently.
- October 1-30: Project Green Challenge Turning Green (TG) - engages high school and college students globally. Each day in October, a unique challenge will be delivered to registered participants by email at 6 am Pacific Time. Each challenge will be live for 24 hours inviting participants to complete actions and upload deliverables to acquire points and prizes.
- October 4-10: National Fire Prevention Week (NFPA)
- October 8: Children's Environmental Health Day
- October 11-17: Earth Science Week
- October 16: World Food Day
- October 25-31(last week): Lead Poisoning Prevention Week
- November: Lung Cancer Awareness Month
- November 15: America Recycles Day
- Safe Toys and Gift Months
- National Hand Washing Awareness Week