824 111th Drive
Horton, KS 66439
Phone: (785) 486-2131
Fax: (785) 486-2801


Social Services

Updated 10/25/2023


Kickapoo Tribe in Kansas
Social Service Mission Statement

To strengthen, with dignity and respect, the quality of life for all of our tribal citizens through supportive services and advocacy by fostering independence and personal responsibility; protecting people; providing opportunities for individuals to achieve their full potential; and promoting healthy families and safe communities by ensuring quality, and comprehensive services.
To protect children who have been or are at substantial risk of abuse, neglect or abandonment. We strive to assure that our tribal children have a family who will protect them from harm. We recognize the protective capacities of families and incorporate them in assessments, decision making and actions with the goal of improving safety, permanency and well-being for our tribal children. We encourage our community to strengthen their prevention efforts and to share responsibility for the safety of our tribal children and families.



Dawn Masqua 


Patricia Pena 


Available 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Monday – Friday

824 111th Drive
Horton, KS 66439
Phone: 785-486-3420
Fax: (785) 486-2724


Social Service Programs

ICWA/Foster Care

Services will be provided if child is enrolled or eligible for enrollment in a Federally recognized Native American Tribe. Services can be provided for children under the age of 18 years old.
The Kickapoo Tribe in KS can only intervene in state cases which involve Kickapoo in Kansas Tribal Members that are eligible or enrolled with the Kickapoo Tribe in KS.

Please refer to United States Code Title 25 –Indians Chapter 21- Indian Child Welfare Act of 1978. The information can be found at the following web sites:

Child (ren) are placed with Native American and Non-Native American Family Members first. If family is not available then child is place within the Native Community. If there is no other optional placement, the child (ren) is placed in a state licensed foster home(s).
ICWA'S definition of an Indian child

Family Preservation

Services family’s that are in jeopardy of their child (ren) being removed. Social Service will work with the family as a whole. Services available may include Parenting Classes, Mental Health Services, Individual and Family Therapy, and Budgeting services. To qualify for this service you must be enrolled in an Federally Recognized Native American Tribe. In addition, you must live in our service area Brown and Jackson Counties.

Child Protective Services

All allegations will be investigated. The findings will be reported to the Kickapoo Tribal Prosecutor, then it is up to the Kickapoo Tribal Prosecutor to pursue the case. Investigations will be limited within boundaries of the Kickapoo Tribal Reservation. Reports outside the reservation boundaries will be reported to SRS for investigation.

Some circumstances require Kickapoo Tribal Law Enforcement to place a child (ren) in Kickapoo Tribal Law Enforcement custody. The child (ren) is then placed in an Emergency Placement.

Social Services works with Children and Families when there is suspected abuse, neglect, or sexual abuse.

Child (ren) are place with Native American and Non-Native American Family Members first. If family is not available then child is placed within the Native Community. Additional placements are made with state licensed foster homes.

Family Violence Prevention & Services

Kickapoo Social Services Client Eligibility is for any victim or child(ren) involved in a domestic violence, sexual assault, or a stalking situation. Must be an enrolled member of a federally recognized Tribe who resides within the Kickapoo Social Services Area.
Click Here for More Information




Some requirements for Foster Parents include:

  • Must be an enrolled member of Federally Recognized Native American Tribe
  • Complete Application
  • Must pass a thorough Background check
  • CPR/First Aid Certified. If not must able to obtain certification
  • Must get a physical with a TB test
  • Must pass home inspection

A Foster Home License can obtained two ways:

  1. If you live within the boundaries of the Kickapoo Tribe in Kansas Reservation you must go through Kickapoo Social Services.
  2. If you live outside the boundaries of the Kickapoo Tribe in Kansas Reservation you will be required to obtain a Foster Home License through Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) 

Interested parties can contact Kickapoo Social Services Director or Administrative Assistant at (785) 486-2662 extensions 237 or 235. Email kss12009@yahoo.com If no answer, please leave a message. At times workers may be out of the office.


To Report the Following ABUSE call the following numbers:

(Calls are anonymous)

Kickapoo Social Services: (785) 486-3420
Kickapoo Crisis Center Intervention Hotline: 1-888-899-9377
School Violence Hotline: 1-877-626-8203 (This includes by students and staff, bullying, etc.)
Child Abuse Hotline: 1-800-922-5330
Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
Elder Abuse Hotline: 1-800-842-0078


Click below for links to more information:

Click Here for the Social Service Spring 2011 Newsletter
Adult Protective Services Brochure
C.A.N. Brochure
Domestic Violence Cycle
Effects of Domestic Violence on Children